Thursday 1 January 2015

Let the journey begin


Hi, I'm that cool guy who collects mugs from "all" of the places he visits.



It started a few years ago when I went to Copenhagen, Denmark for a long weekend:


I loved Copenhagen. It's a lovely little city and absolutely perfect for a weekend away. It was also one of the few places I've been to and thought: I could see myself living here.


Since then I've also collected mugs from:

Krakow, Poland



A place I completely fell in love with. I could not recommend Krakow enough, although the great thing about when I went in November 2011 was that there weren't too many other tourists. So maybe don't go haha.



Brussels & Antwerp, Belgium



A couple of years back I had a fantastic few days in Brussels and also enjoyed a lovely day trip to Antwerp while I was there. I liked Belgium a lot. I would love to go back and visit Ghent and Bruges at some point.



Ydra, Greece



For a couple of years I spent a lot of time in Greece visiting Athens, Skyros, Crete and Nafplio as well as Ydra, however for some unknown reason I only brought back this one mug. But that's ok because I absolutely fell in love with Greece - it's culture, climate, food etc - and so I will definitely be going back at some point and will get myself some more mugs while I'm there.



Barcelona, Spain



Barcelona has absolutely everything that a great city break destination needs. Art, culture, architecture, good food and as an added bonus it also has a huge beach. However, for some reason I didn't fall in love with Barcelona the way I have done with some of the other places I've visited. I think the main reason for this was that I found it to be a bit too touristy.



Berlin, Germany




Berlin was the first place that I ever travelled to on my own (you can read the full blog post about this experience here). I was only there for a few days but fell in love with it and thought that it was another city that I could see myself living in.



So I have a few mugs in my collection. Too many to know what to do with and yet clearly not enough! I love travelling, visiting new places, eating new foods and meeting interesting new people and yet I haven't done even nearly enough travelling in my life. But that's about to change! (hopefully)

WELCOME to my new blog: Around the World in 80 Mugs. I don't know how long it's actually going to take to complete - I might still be doing it when I'm 80 - but my plan is to buy a souvenir mug from 80 different places around the world (80 different countries would be too much and so I've said 80 different places) before my current passport runs out at the end of August 2020.

Can I do it?
I'm not sure

but Wish me luck! 
& let the journey begin. :)

ps. HAPPY NEW YEAR!


No comments:

Post a Comment